the one book that sticks with you

Everything else, basically.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Postby HerrHerr » March 6th, 2008, 3:41 pm

kbadr wrote:Also, in The Knighthood of BUH at UT, we once did an event on the west mall that was asserted that we should eat aborted fetuses. If Meat Is Murder and Abortion Is Murder, then it follows that Abortion Is Meat. We presented it as a very "modest proposal that is worth considering" and we still had people who didn't understand that it was satire.

Holy crap! I was there. Before I knew you! Shooting some news story or something unrelated to this event.

Fajetuses or something...

Kareem is my constant.
Sometimes it's a form of love just to talk to somebody that you have nothing in common with and still be fascinated by their presence.
--David Byrne
HerrHerr

Postby Roy Janik » March 6th, 2008, 3:44 pm

HerrHerr wrote:Holy crap! I was there. Before I knew you! Shooting some news story or something unrelated to this event.

Nice! Whenever BUH did the "tower storming" event I planned, we encountered The Well Hung Jury lying on the ground holding up flyers for an upcoming show. I had no idea who they were, but I have video footage of it.

Craziness.
Submit to the Free Fringe, Thursdays at 10pm. http://hideout.cc/freefringeform
Roy Janik

Postby kbadr » March 6th, 2008, 3:46 pm

HerrHerr wrote:Fajetuses or something...

You work your life away and what do they give?
You're only killing yourself to live

kbadr

"Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury

Postby KathyRose » March 30th, 2008, 2:07 pm

For sticktuitiveness, I must mention the book that I first read in junior high; then again while away at college; then again some years later when I moved and found the paperback stored with my college things; then again a few years ago - on air, for Austin Information Radio's broadcast for the visually impaired ... "Dandelion Wine" by Ray Bradbury. Wikipedia provides a good description of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandelion_Wine It is constructed as a series of short stories, and I revisit them from time to time, and they still enchant me, make me laugh and cry.

DW introduced me to magical realism and altered my perception of life. You might say, it expanded my circle of expectations - which was a miraculous thing for an unhappy child. It led me to sci-fi, through Bradbury's "The Martian Chronicles," and from there, to a degree in Aerospace Engineering (though not actually into space, except by proxy). It taught me that beauty, joy and the sudden discovery of truth could make me cry as readily as sadness (but in a good way). I think that's why I'm an actor and writer, today - pursuing moments of heart-rending bliss.

My favorite stories from the book include:
- Leo Auffmann's attempt to build a Happiness Machine.
- Mrs. Bentley's inability to convince two little girls that she was ever young, like them.
- the boys' discovery of a "time machine," in the form of old Colonel Freeleigh.
- witchcraft and the Honeysuckle Ladies Lodge.
- Mr. Jonas and his wagon full of discarded objects.
What is to give light must endure burning. - Viktor Frankl
KathyRose

Postby scook » March 30th, 2008, 2:22 pm

York99 wrote:Not a book, but still a literary piece, so I shall put it here: "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift.

It's the granddaddy of satire.

This essay changed my life in high school.
http://www.myspace.com/goldbergsthe

The Goldbergs will frame you for murder.
scook

Previous

Return to General Discussion