Video editing software?

Everything else, basically.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Video editing software?

Postby mcnichol » July 31st, 2006, 8:55 am

Do you edit video? What software do you use? I'm just jumping into this and trying to figure out what I should use. Boy is this stuff expensive! I started using Avid's free version of their software (Avid Free DV) and, once I got past the learning curve, it's pretty powerful, though limited (...cause it's free). I was thinking of upgrading (eventually) to the full version (Avid Express DV), but wanted to see if anyone uses Adobe Premier or something else I don't know about, and hopefully to hear about pluses or minuses from different stuff. Thanks!!!

btw, I'm using a PC, so those Mac-based ones are out the window.
mcnichol

Postby kbadr » July 31st, 2006, 9:29 am

Wes just got a really good one that we played around with for many hours last night. Ulead Video Studio, I believe. And it's pretty affordable.

You work your life away and what do they give?
You're only killing yourself to live

kbadr

Postby Wesley » July 31st, 2006, 11:20 am

CompUSA has it for $99 with a $30 rebate right now. Version 10. Basics: you need a Pentium 4 3.0GHz or above and it really helps to have a large (external, if possible) hard drive to store files and edit from.

I've used other ULead products before, so I picked it up pretty fast. It isn't entirely intuitive, but it isn't overly complicated once you figure out a few of the quirks and whatnot. I'd be happy to show it to you if you'd like to see it before deciding.
"I do."
--Christina de Roos . . . Bain . . . Christina Bain
:-)

I Snood Bear
Improvised Theater
Wesley

Postby improvstitute » July 31st, 2006, 2:58 pm

say...you guys wouldn't be working on your 3 minute slots for the Greatest Show On Turf would you???? If not, then you should be!!!!

This friendly reminder has been brought to you by...NEED. If you haven't started on these, then you better get it going!
-Ted

"I don't use the accident. I create the accident." -Jackson's Polyp

JUNK IMPROV
improvstitute

Postby mcnichol » July 31st, 2006, 3:32 pm

improvstitute wrote:say...you guys wouldn't be working on your 3 minute slots for the Greatest Show On Turf would you???? If not, then you should be!!!!

You have read me like a book, sir. Erika and I have one finished (about 34 seconds in length) and are starting to work on the next one.

Wes wrote:I'd be happy to show it to you if you'd like to see it before deciding.

Thanks man! I may take you up on that.

The big options seems to be: Ulead, Avid, and Adobe Premier. But then within that there's the different levels of software (Avid Express DV vs. Avid Pro, Ulead VideoStudio vs. Ulead MediaStudio , Adobe Premier Elements vs. Adobe Premier Pro [and v1.5 vs v.2 in there]). I guess it just depends on what features are valuable/necessary for what I'm doing, but then I'm guess I'm still a little hazy on what I'll be doing.
mcnichol

Postby phlounderphil » July 31st, 2006, 3:58 pm

I use adobe premiere mostly. It's simple enough to be learned quickly, but complex enough to do some pretty impressive things.

To Ted: You Me & Greg is currently editing our 3 minute submission for the Greatest Show on Turf.
phlounderphil

Postby mcnichol » July 31st, 2006, 4:21 pm

phlounderphil wrote:I use adobe premiere mostly. It's simple enough to be learned quickly, but complex enough to do some pretty impressive things.

D you use Premier Elements or Premier Pro? What type of media can you import? MPG? DV? HDV? Just wondering about the type of Premier, as there's quite a lot of $$$ between the two.
mcnichol

Postby phlounderphil » July 31st, 2006, 4:41 pm

I use Adobe Premiere 6.5 (I bought it from a friend a long time ago for relatively cheap).

It imports almost any video format (mpg, rm, avi, wmv), almost any img format (png, jpg, bmp) and sound formats (wav, mp3). It can also capture directly from any tape of DV or lesser quality. It exports into quicktime or windows media formats.

I usually export my films in Quicktime format and then use Windows Movie Maker to recompress them down to smaller sizes and I've rarely had a problem with this system.

From the impression that I get, Adobe Premiere Elements is very similar to Windows Movie Maker with only a few improvements. Honestly, I would probably recommend Ulead Video (like Wes owns), because it'll be the best value for your money.

Unless you can find an older copy of Adobe Premiere for sale/trade on Craigslist/Ebay or something.
phlounderphil

Postby Roy Janik » July 31st, 2006, 4:48 pm

judging from my experience over the weekend, the ULEAD program was all sorts of good. Simple to use, but feature-full. My favorite thing is the "smart proxy" feature. It creates a lower-res version of source files, so you can edit on lower end machines without eating up a barell-ful of resources.
Submit to the Free Fringe, Thursdays at 10pm. http://hideout.cc/freefringeform
Roy Janik

Postby beardedlamb » July 31st, 2006, 9:47 pm

i use avid express dv and it's real nice. it has so many capabilities and does all kinds of fancy doodads to your stuff. it's pricey but it's what a lot of the pros use. you can pretty much do anything on it. i find premiere difficult to use because i learned on avid at school so i feel limited and annoyed. i'm just a video editing snob who doesn't work on video pieces nearly as much as i should.
once you learn avid, though, there's a world of possibilites.
O O B
beardedlamb

Postby shksprtx » July 31st, 2006, 9:59 pm

phlounderphil wrote:I use adobe premiere mostly. It's simple enough to be learned quickly, but complex enough to do some pretty impressive things.

Semi-related: If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a legal-ish copy of Adobe Audition Pro for cheaps, please let me know.

I downloaded a free version of Audacity to try to do sound mixing/editing with, but it blows...
Gersh gurndy morn-dee burn-dee, burn-dee, flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip-flip.
shksprtx

Postby Roy Janik » August 1st, 2006, 1:00 am

shksprtx wrote:
Semi-related: If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a legal-ish copy of Adobe Audition Pro for cheaps, please let me know.

I downloaded a free version of Audacity to try to do sound mixing/editing with, but it blows...

I'm not sure what you're trying to do with Audition, but for multi-track editing, I've had a lot of success with Reaper.

http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

It's free and stuff.
Submit to the Free Fringe, Thursdays at 10pm. http://hideout.cc/freefringeform
Roy Janik

Postby mcnichol » August 1st, 2006, 11:48 am

Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. You've been super-helpful... I'm still reading about other systems and will likely try them out soon (Premier and Ulead, and Vegas sounds good too).
mcnichol

Return to General Discussion