Page 2 of 3

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 5:08 pm
by kaci_beeler
PGraph has gotten lots of reviews on our tours, and in Edinburgh we got tons of unsolicited reviews.

We knew when the reviewer made a good point and when they weren't worth bothering with.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 5:14 pm
by Aden
Aden wrote:
Spots wrote:
Pdyx wrote:Interestingly, that's the show that inspired me to formally get into doing live improv in Austin.



I love Aden's posts all through that thread. And Tami's. I'd never read through it before. I'd just heard about it.



4 stars. Out of stars.


Yay! Also uh oh... now I have to go back and read it all too, to see if I like what I wrote too. :shock:


I stand by everything I said!! Also, I find myself hilarious.

Please no reviews.

:D

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 5:29 pm
by shel
Thanks to Bob! Wow-it's gotten bigger than I ever imagined. It's great that we can reflect back on our past self! And... I'm sure someone can write a thousand or more sketches/plays etc...out of all our forum interactions- sitcom about an improv forum anyone? or sitcom based on improv forum content...hmmmm

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 7:31 pm
by Spots
When I read the thread it's not the content of the reviews that strike me. The overall sentiment it highlights is the fact that some improvisers saw themselves as ambassadors and some people did not.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 10:25 pm
by shando
Man, I just went back and read a bunch of 5 and 6 year old threads. Hahahahahahahahaha. I think someone should go through and add more posts to those classics. We don't have dust 'em ups like we used to anymore. All these newbies on the scene are being DEPRIVED.

PostPosted: August 22nd, 2012, 11:13 pm
by wiggies
shando wrote:Man, I just back and read a bunch of 5 and 6 year old threads. Hahahahahahahahaha. I think someone should go through and add more posts to those classics. We don't have dust 'em ups like we used to anymore. All these newbies on the scene are being DEPRIVED.


"Austin used to be so much better. You don't even know."

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 9:51 am
by Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell
huzzah to Bob! i wasn't on the forum much when it first started (mostly only if Jeff or Jon Hunt asked me what i thought of some argument...which meant i had to go and read and, inevitably, post some needlessly long diatribe because i have THOUGHTS and OPINIONS, damn it!), but this place was a freaking lifeline for me when i was in Los Angeles and missing my friends back here. and it's been a fantastic combination of mindless diversion and fertile breeding ground for ideas since i got back. so thank you, Bob!

wiggies wrote:
shando wrote:Man, I just back and read a bunch of 5 and 6 year old threads. Hahahahahahahahaha. I think someone should go through and add more posts to those classics. We don't have dust 'em ups like we used to anymore. All these newbies on the scene are being DEPRIVED.


"Austin used to be so much better. You don't even know."


best. sketch. ever. :P

Re: An extremely short history of the Austin Improv Forums

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 12:46 am
by happywaffle
Mo Daviau wrote:UCB TourCo Comes to Austin-->shitstorm-->Mailer/Vidal: http://forum.austinimprov.com/viewtopic ... gore+vidal


I'm reading through this now. Just got to:

Roy Janik wrote:And, scene?

please?


I'm on page 8 of 21. Hahahahaha.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 1:18 am
by Spots
I know Upright Citizens Brigade has mentioned in theory about setting up a theater in a city such as Austin.

But honestly I see this thread and I can't stop thinking about what the forum's split-reaction would be.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 1:20 am
by happywaffle
Spots wrote:I know UCB has mentioned in theory about setting up a theater in a city such as Austin.

But honestly I see this thread and I can't stop thinking about what the forum's reaction would be.


As far as I can tell, that thread was about specific reactions to one touring show. It doesn't suggest anything to me.

I *would* be defensive if UCB tried to set up shop in Austin without engaging with the rest of the community. But that's all extremely hypothetical.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 1:24 am
by Spots
happywaffle wrote:As far as I can tell, that thread was about specific reactions to one touring show. It doesn't suggest anything to me.

I *would* be defensive if UCB tried to set up shop in Austin without engaging with the rest of the community. But that's all extremely hypothetical.


UCB has solid relationships with Coldtowne & New Movement. Anyways, that's as much as I'm going to say. I did witness judgement past the individual show.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 7:57 am
by shando
Hey guys, remember when that thread happened? And then Austin got such a bad reputation for being such an inhospitable city that no one cool or important to improv ever came to play in Austin anymore? And no one moved here to do improv and Austin troupes continually found themselves blackballed by improv festivals, especially DCM. Man, I sure wish that thread hadn't happened. Who knows where Austin improv would be today?

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 8:30 am
by Spots
Hey guys. Let's all jump on the bandwagon again about how we all jumped on the bandwagon.

"I agree with Shannon!"


"I also agree with Shannon!"


"I also agree with Shannon!"




*wink wink*



(tuns on the bandwagon signal)



Yawn.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 8:43 am
by shando
Jesse, I'm not sure what you're getting at, but I will say this. You seem really invested in an argument that happened 5 years ago and from which everyone seems to have moved on except for you and apparently the people who filled you with tales of lore of that thread.

But hey man, keep adding vague, insinuating posts in your flabby writing in an attempt to whip up "controversy" and to maintain your "relevance" to Austin improv from afar.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2012, 10:01 am
by Spots
Shannon, looks like I struck a nerve.


Are you trying to marginalize my involvement with this community?