Any Interest in a One-Act Play Competition?

Everything else, basically.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » April 13th, 2012, 2:13 pm

i think it was just medals in 5A. but i only ever got up to All Star Cast, so i'm just going off of memories of Ben Sterling's wins here...;)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby kaci_beeler » April 13th, 2012, 2:21 pm

Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell wrote:i think it was just medals in 5A. but i only ever got up to All Star Cast, so i'm just going off of memories of Ben Sterling's wins here...;)

Yeah, it was all medals in 5A.

(Go WESTWOOD!)

I got an honorable mention award once for our senior year's show, The Imaginary Invalid, which was a French Farce. I was pretty happy about it because I was only in one scene in the show and was self-conscious about always being cast as children in all the shows we did at my high school.

Evidence! Terrible, grainy, evidence!
kaci_beeler

Postby SarahMarie » April 13th, 2012, 2:31 pm

HOLY MOLY!!!! OMG.

I'll scan mine for this gloryosity ASAP.
Instructor - Improvisor - Pixie - General Manager
http://www.theinstitutiontheater.com/ --- http://sarahmariecurry.com/
SarahMarie

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » April 13th, 2012, 2:53 pm

HA! i've got a Much Ado cast photo somewhere i'll try to post later. :)

and yes...go Warriors. ;)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Brad Hawkins » April 13th, 2012, 3:48 pm

Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell wrote:and yes...go Warriors. ;)

You were the Warriors too, huh?
The silver knives are flashing in the tired old cafe. A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee. She says "My body is the life; my body is the way." I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.
Brad Hawkins

Postby jesspasc » April 13th, 2012, 3:54 pm

I never did theater in high school, I've never written/directed/acted in any staged production, and I, too, was involved in non-competitive activities all through high school.

In short, I would love to do this.
jesspasc

Postby Brad Hawkins » April 13th, 2012, 3:59 pm

jesspasc wrote:I never did theater in high school, I've never written/directed/acted in any staged production, and I, too, was involved in non-competitive activities all through high school.

In short, I would love to do this.

We should make a team of people who have never won any awards!
The silver knives are flashing in the tired old cafe. A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee. She says "My body is the life; my body is the way." I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.
Brad Hawkins

Postby Nicole Beckley » April 13th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Yeah, this sounds like fun.

I did one acts in high school and I remember doing this one where we had to play old women who were haunted by a ghost. (Can't remember the title of it.) Our director told us that we were totally unbelievable playing 80-year-old women.

(Actually, she may not have said "unbelievable"... I think she said "not believable." Yeah, that sounds more accurate.)

Though in looking at this picture, I think the makeup people thought we were doing "Cats."

Nicole Beckley

Postby Brad Hawkins » April 13th, 2012, 5:39 pm

Nicole Beckley wrote:(Actually, she may not have said "unbelievable"... I think she said "not believable." Yeah, that sounds more accurate.

Ha! I never thought of that. As an actor, that must get confusing!

"What did you think of my play?"
"Oh man, you were unbelievable!"
"..."
Brad Hawkins

Postby beardedlamb » April 13th, 2012, 6:48 pm

there will definitely be trophies/medals.

also, whenever we do age makeup in Process for the third act, we really go for that overly cartoony look. good stuff. never not funny.

O O B
beardedlamb

Postby valetoile » April 13th, 2012, 7:39 pm

Sarah Marie, did you not go to Central? Did Central get downgraded to 4A? What am I missing?

I never got cast in one act play in high school, but I loved it in junior high. I would be so into this. I think having judges from outside the improv world would be super cool.
Parallelogramophonographpargonohpomargolellarap: It's a palindrome!
valetoile

Postby beardedlamb » April 13th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Can people help me brainstorm possible names for this?

right now my favorite is New I. L. (New Intertheatre League)
cuz it sounds like UIL.

I also like New Aisle for the same reason. its less annoying than New I. L. but maybe not as obvious of a take on "UIL"

Looking at costs to produce this, it may require an entry fee from each play. i'll have to rent a space for a full day, build a unit set, albeit probably not as extensive as the actual UIL one, and possibly pay judges from the austin theatre community for their time.

i also thought about a much bigger version of this that would divide it into 4 Sundays. first round days for new works, established works, and improv with two shows advancing from each of those categories to face off on the final Sunday. this adds in the fun of "advancing" through the rounds and that last Sunday would be called "State" regardless of how unstate it is (kind of like how the World Series includes 31 US teams and one Canadian one). but makes my life more difficult (4 Sundays in a row of a 14-hr unpaid work day!) and makes the whole thing more expensive. maybe this would have to wait until a second year though.
O O B
beardedlamb

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » April 14th, 2012, 1:04 am

heh. NIL. ;)

Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby happywaffle » April 14th, 2012, 7:03 pm

Nicole Beckley wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicoleabeckley/7074903021/in/photostream

o, m, f, g.
happywaffle

Postby Spaztique » April 15th, 2012, 2:30 am

Most of my writing/directorial training has been in playwriting; specifically one-act plays. If only I had some actors, we could wipe the walls with everyone else.
-New and improved for 2014: coming to a theater near you!
-Advice-A-Day: Daily advice on everything.
Spaztique

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion