Personality Types

Everything else, basically.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Postby wiggies » September 11th, 2011, 11:14 pm

So far, the common thread has been the N. Is that what makes an improviser?
Luis Salinas

Here's to the small things!
wiggies

Postby zyrain » September 12th, 2011, 1:11 am

wiggies wrote:So far, the common thread has been the N. Is that what makes an improviser?

To a degree, yes. The N means "abstract communicator" whereas S means "concrete experiential"

S's will tend more toward straight-up acting, focusing on seeing/finding the true emotional content and meaning of an existing thing to be perceived or experienced.

An N will be more concerned with the possibilities of what could be, and exploring logic or emotion within that context of fantasy.

Both writing and comedy, in general, are dominated by N's (NF's in particular). Same is true for rational N's (NTs), which is why it's not so unusual to see a bunch of computer folk (like me) drawn to this.

However, these scales are not boxes, but continua, so people can be more or less certain traits. An improvisor who does more commercial work might also be an artist (e.g. Kaci), who will be closer to the S side, whereas more of a pure N will be drawn more strongly to the abstract (e.g. sketch or novel writing).
- Neal
zyrain

Postby SenseiKrystal » October 12th, 2011, 12:39 am

I'm kind of late to the party, but I love, love, love the Myers Briggs!

I'm an INFJ to the bone. Complex, confusing, private, caring, stubborn, and disturbingly intuitive.

http://www.personalitypage.com has really amazing descriptions of the different types, down to career suggestions and possible relationship issues.
SenseiKrystal

Postby Ruby W. » October 12th, 2011, 1:49 am

ENTJ - Although I only got one point for the T (thinking). hahaha.
Ruby W.

Postby mpbrockman » October 12th, 2011, 3:21 am

INTP

As usual I am an "I" to the nth degree. "N" and "T" moderately expressed.

The surprise (I haven't taken this test in several years) is that I appear to be inching towards "J". At this point I am just barely a "P". That wasn't always the case.

Check again in 5 years - I'll be an INTJ.
"He who is not a misanthrope at age forty can never have loved mankind" -Nicolas de Chamfort
www.perfectlyreasonabledreams.com
http://www.facebook.com/mpbrockman
mpbrockman

Postby arthursimone » October 12th, 2011, 9:47 am

i'm a ROUS
"I don't use the accident. I deny the accident." - Jackson Pollock

The goddamn best Austin improv classes!
arthursimone

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » October 12th, 2011, 10:08 am

arthursimone wrote:i'm a ROUS

i don't think you exist.
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Lacy » October 12th, 2011, 2:20 pm

ENFJ, with the E slowly losing prominence over the years.

Any of you done the PCI? (Personality Color Inventory?) I use it a lot with clients because it is pretty quick and I've found it to be really helpful for helping clients conceptualize themselves/loved ones/relationship interactions etc.

I'm a green/orange. I have copies of the PCI and write-ups about each color (and colors together in dating/love situations). If anyone is interested, I can easily scan and send them to you!
Lacy

Postby sara farr » October 12th, 2011, 4:06 pm

sara farr

INFP?

Postby Katherine » October 12th, 2011, 11:42 pm

O took this test when I was really young. At that time, I was an ENFP. As an adult, I am definitely , definitely an introvert. I Erik think I am an INFP in my natural "resting state," but I think I am a little more left brained at work. That bleeds into my regular life as well. Part of taking up improv was to find an outlet for my creative side, which has felt so squelched at work.
Kat ( :
Katherine

Postby Steeeph » October 13th, 2011, 11:19 am

I am also super fascinated with personality types...

Also an ENFJ! Although I am only slightly P, so I guess I'm an ENFJ/P. I am mostly a "7", but I feel Enneagram Personality Systems are a little too polarized for most.

Lacy... Send me the PCI! :)
Steeeph

Postby Brad Hawkins » October 13th, 2011, 11:45 am

Steeeph wrote:I am mostly a "7"...

No, you're totally a 10.
The silver knives are flashing in the tired old cafe. A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee. She says "My body is the life; my body is the way." I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.
Brad Hawkins

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » October 13th, 2011, 11:50 am

Brad Hawkins wrote:
Steeeph wrote:I am mostly a "7"...

No, you're totally a 10.

...so i DON'T need to bring any cheese back from Wisconsin? you've got it covered? excellent. ;)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Pdyx » October 13th, 2011, 12:22 pm

Steeeph wrote:I am also super fascinated with personality types...

Also an ENFJ! Although I am only slightly P, so I guess I'm an ENFJ/P. I am mostly a "7", but I feel Enneagram Personality Systems are a little too polarized for most.

Lacy... Send me the PCI! :)

I'm also interested in the PCI.

Thanks for mentioning the Enneagram, no one else has yet (I don't think). I've found it to be another helpful lens. I'm also a 7, but I test as a INTJ, which is different than you. So that's interesting.

I've found that recently in many ways the Enneagram has been more helpful. But they're both helpful in different ways. I'm not someone who subscribes too heavily to any of these systems as perfect, they just can be useful in showing parts of your personality that you maybe can't objectively see.

That phrase that the map is not the territory is a good one here. Or the thing that has cropped up recently a lot lately, the finger pointing to the moon isn't the moon itself. These classifications can help point you towards things about yourself (and different ones can show you different things) but ultimately they are not pure and perfect reflections of you, and are approximate by varying degrees depending on the test and the person.
Pdyx

Postby hujhax » October 13th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Hmm -- here's how the enneagram turned out for me:

Type 1 - 9.7
Type 9 - 9
Type 5 - 7.7
Type 4 - 7
Type 6 - 6.7
Type 7 - 6.3
Type 2 - 4

There are aspects of 1 and 9 that feel accurate, but who knows how much of that is the Forer effect.

:mrgreen:

--
peter rogers @ work | http://hujhax.livejournal.com

I'm often embarrassed by the people who agree with me.
      -- Andy Rooney
hujhax

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion