Osama Bin Laden? He Dead.

Everything else, basically.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Osama Bin Laden? He Dead.

Postby LuBu McJohnson » May 1st, 2011, 10:18 pm

I don't really have anything to say, I just wanted to be the one to make a post and then see what other people say.
-Bryan Roberts a.k.a. LuBu McJohnson a.k.a. Ghetto Sketch Warlock
"This is for those that don't know the half"
-http://www.ghettosketchwarlock.com
"Any mistakes can be rectified without loss of life, unless they involve Lubu."
-Ratliff
LuBu McJohnson

Postby Spots » May 1st, 2011, 11:03 pm

I believe the man is dead. That is all.
Spots

Postby Tim Traini » May 1st, 2011, 11:45 pm

rull ded
Tim Traini

Postby Marc Majcher » May 2nd, 2011, 12:06 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGiJcq95Ug#t=02m58s[/youtube]
The Bastard
Improv For Evil
"new goal: be quoted in Marc's signature." - Jordan T. Maxwell
Marc Majcher

Postby mpbrockman » May 2nd, 2011, 12:10 am

Well, a "W" in the Obama column, at least in the short term.

More questions than answers, though:

-Hiding in a mansion in an Islamabad suburb? The president thanked Zardari for his help, and there are unconfirmed reports that Paki intel was on the ground with our guys. Somehow I doubt that. I suspect Zardari was informed of our intentions after our guys were already in place. I don't think we can trust anybody over there (Zardari included) enough to inform them of our intentions until about 30 seconds before we throw the first flash-bang. Now we have to figure out a way to let the Pakistanis save face.

-Retaliatory strikes? Fill in your own scenario here.

-The hydra effect? Every time we take out a drug dealer, six more pop up. Same deal here?

-I suppose the ethical kill question will raise it's head for some. I'm watching the crowd celebrating with abandon in Lafayette Park right now. Celebrating the death of another human? I don't have a problem with this one myself - I think there is a line past which you forfeit your right to be a part of the tribe - but some folks will.

-Have we really done anything to demoralize/frighten Al-Queda, or just created a martyr?

-Get ready for the FOIA lawsuits starting tomorrow. The more the Feds plant roadblocks, the more Obama's "transparency in government" speeches fall flatter than they already have.

-This just in. Apparently one Pakistani woman died in the process of being used as a human shield. See my lack of objection to the "ethical kill" question.

First impressions...

Enjoy the moment if you're so inclined. Feel good for the folks in New York (and elsewhere) who lost people, perhaps they'll find some closure in this. However, I see this as the beginning of something - not the end. I'm going to hide and watch awhile before drawing any concrete conclusions.

EDIT/ADDENDUM

And if we've gotten bin Laden, ostensibly the reason for us being in Afghanistan in the first place, how long before people are gathering in Lafayette Park singing Pink Floyd's "Bring the Boys Back home"?
"He who is not a misanthrope at age forty can never have loved mankind" -Nicolas de Chamfort
www.perfectlyreasonabledreams.com
http://www.facebook.com/mpbrockman
mpbrockman

Postby arthursimone » May 2nd, 2011, 1:35 am

I'm not terribly comfortable celebrating the death of another human being.

but even so... fuck that dude.
"I don't use the accident. I deny the accident." - Jackson Pollock

The goddamn best Austin improv classes!
arthursimone

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 2nd, 2011, 9:02 am

arthursimone wrote:I'm not terribly comfortable celebrating the death of another human being.

pretty much my attitude. as another human being, i don't feel right celebrating his death. as a symbol of terror and cowardice and mass murder, though, i take some comfort in the knowledge that an American fired a bullet that penetrated his skull at high velocity, destroyed his brain and sent his black soul reeling into a never ending Hell of physical and spiritual torment...

...just so long as it's clear i'm celebrating that as a SYMBOL. :p
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Chuy! » May 2nd, 2011, 9:21 am

Get out of my head Arthur! That was my status update on FB when I heard the news damn near verbatim...
Chicken Fried Steak and all that...
-CHUY!
Chuy!

Postby mpbrockman » May 2nd, 2011, 10:08 am

I dreamed this last night, so it must be true:

The U.S. had nothing to do with this. It was instead British Special Forces that killed Obama in order to get the cameras off of Will & Kate long enough for them to slip up to Balmoral or something.
"He who is not a misanthrope at age forty can never have loved mankind" -Nicolas de Chamfort
mpbrockman

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 2nd, 2011, 10:22 am

mpbrockman wrote:I dreamed this last night, so it must be true:

The U.S. had nothing to do with this. It was instead British Special Forces that killed Obama in order to get the cameras off of Will & Kate long enough for them to slip up to Balmoral or something.

i've been saying Bond movies need more screwball elements...
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby B. Tribe » May 2nd, 2011, 10:45 am

Disconnected thoughts:

Sometimes sovereignty has to take a back seat to what is right. Problem is, slippery slope. How far can the United States push these pinpoint strikes into neutral or even allied countries?

I'd rather have seen him in chains at the Hague.

Pics or it didn't happen. LULZ.

Apparently Pakistan didn't know much about what was going down. Those helicopters traveled a far piece into patrolled and defended airspace with nary a challenge. Somebody was told to look the other way. Or they're incredibly incompetent.

They crashed a helicopter and still got everybody in and out. Also destroyed the 'copter so nothing useful would be left. That's the kind of quick thinking that comes from hours of practice. LIKE IMPROV!

Some people are saying that Obama doesn't deserve any credit for this. I disagree. He changed policy from GWB's 'as many boots on the ground/total war' to 'intelligence and precision'. This is the second time (that we know of) that he basically pulled the trigger on taking out targets quick and clean. Remember the snipers and the Somali pirates? He gave the green light TWICE as the situation was coalescing. He should get due credit along with all the other people that did the grunt/ground work to do the job.

'Glad' and 'proud' aren't the right words for how I'm feeling about the whole thing. War and killing are things that should be done sparingly and with intensity. Bring everything to bear as quickly as possible and get it over with. It's not something to celebrate. He's gone. Good. The Seals did their job. Good. Next?

It's good bin Laden is out of the picture. Al Queda's #2 guy is apparently not as charismatic and won't be quite the figurehead that bin Laden was.

Bammer's been fairly disappointing but he does get things done now and again.
B. Tribe

Postby shando » May 2nd, 2011, 10:53 am

arthursimone wrote:I'm not terribly comfortable celebrating the death of another human being.

As Mark Twain said, “I’ve never wished a man dead, but I have read some obituaries with great pleasure.”
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?

"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
shando

Postby arthursimone » May 2nd, 2011, 11:04 am

B. Tribe wrote:They crashed a helicopter and still got everybody in and out. Also destroyed the 'copter so nothing useful would be left. That's the kind of quick thinking that comes from hours of practice. LIKE IMPROV!

This can be a quote for an ad
"I don't use the accident. I deny the accident." - Jackson Pollock

The goddamn best Austin improv classes!
arthursimone

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 2nd, 2011, 12:33 pm

"If this looks like fun and like it might be applicable to precision black ops, it TOTALLY is! we teach classes all the time..."
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby mpbrockman » May 3rd, 2011, 8:22 am

Opsprov...
mpbrockman

Next

Return to General Discussion