Improv Clothes

Discussion of the art and craft of improvisation.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight, bradisntclever

Improv Clothes

Postby Dana Yanoshak » May 23rd, 2011, 10:46 am

When I played in the derby a couple weeks ago I noticed Shannon's bowling shoes. I had to comment on how funky fresh they were and asked what the deal was. Then he responded, "These are my improv shoes!" I knew exactly what he meant.

I had an instant flash back of high school improv shows. I would make sure I was wearing my favorite jeans and special checkered tie for every show.

So my question to all you improv peps is this.
Do you have a lucky item that you wear in improv shows?
Improv shoes?
Improv tie?

Tell me!
User avatar
Dana Yanoshak
 
Posts: 27
Joined: November 7th, 2010, 2:28 pm
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby SarahMarie » May 23rd, 2011, 11:11 am

When I wear a skirt, I always wear my improv spankies. Cause then I'm safe to be crazy!
Instructor - Improvisor - Pixie - General Manager
http://www.theinstitutiontheater.com/ --- http://sarahmariecurry.com/
User avatar
SarahMarie
 
Posts: 1152
Joined: February 24th, 2009, 12:02 pm
Location: Austin, Tx

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 23rd, 2011, 11:26 am

in my younger days, i had certain t-shirts (either for the troupe i was in or a band i liked) i'd always wear. i also had my "lucky drawers," a pair of boxer shorts i wore for every show (after having a wardrobe malfunction with a random pair that involved dropping my pants in a Helldub, only to experience what can only be described as "flap failure"). a few years later, those lucky drawers were eaten by my dog.

there are a few dress shirts i like wearing for shows these days. the fact that i seem to only own three shirts according to photos of improv shows in recent years will attest to this. ;)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
User avatar
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: March 17th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Brad Hawkins » May 23rd, 2011, 1:12 pm

I tend to wear button-up short-sleeve shirts, or a plain black T-shirt (I seldom wear tees with anything on them, and never onstage).

The only real thought that goes into what I wear on stage is "glasses or no glasses?" Mostly, unless it's a Three Hot Chicks show, I go without. I find that I allow myself more expression in my face when I'm not wearing them. I'm also more willing to take physical risks without having "watch the glasses!" in the back of my mind. (For example, during Moving Bodies in the Student Maestro, my glasses were removed from my face by the audience volunteers and placed on Alex Dobrenko. They eventually found their way back to me all smudged, but did spend some time on the stage floor during that show.)
The silver knives are flashing in the tired old cafe. A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee. She says "My body is the life; my body is the way." I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.
User avatar
Brad Hawkins
 
Posts: 1168
Joined: August 2nd, 2010, 10:43 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby hujhax » May 23rd, 2011, 2:03 pm

I like wearing sneakers in improv shows.  If I'm wearing dress shoes, I always worry about scuffing them.

(For some reason, I never have that concern when I go out dancing.  Odd.)

:mrgreen:

--
peter rogers @ work | http://hujhax.livejournal.com

When I was 23 myself, it amazed me that T.S. Eliot had written "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" at 23.  Now it makes more sense to me, because of the refrain "There will be time..."  Only a young person really believes that, I think.
      -- 'docbrite' on LiveJournal
User avatar
hujhax
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: August 11th, 2005, 4:07 pm
Location: Bat Country, TX

Postby jillybee72 » May 25th, 2011, 3:42 pm

I love wearing Converse to play. It connects me with all the great funny improvisors who have gone before me wearing Converse. Their entire market is really only comedians and people who want their wedding to be quirky.
User avatar
jillybee72
 
Posts: 649
Joined: November 16th, 2009, 2:20 pm

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 25th, 2011, 5:20 pm

jillybee72 wrote:I love wearing Converse to play. It connects me with all the great funny improvisors who have gone before me wearing Converse. Their entire market is really only comedians and people who want their wedding to be quirky.


and occasionally Time Lords...
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
User avatar
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: March 17th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby shando » May 25th, 2011, 6:07 pm

jillybee72 wrote:Their entire market is really only comedians and people who want their wedding to be quirky.


Perfect.
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?


"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
User avatar
shando
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: August 31st, 2005, 5:20 pm

Postby Alex B » May 25th, 2011, 9:37 pm

I always say many important things in life can be done really well in a pair of Chuck Ts--including improv.
User avatar
Alex B
 
Posts: 141
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 4:52 am
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Terry » May 25th, 2011, 10:59 pm


and occasionally Time Lords...


I haven't met you IRL, but you're my favorite person on these boards based on TARDIS talk alone.
Raxacoricofallapatorius
User avatar
Terry
 
Posts: 107
Joined: April 21st, 2011, 1:30 pm
Location: East ATX

Postby Kayla Lane » May 26th, 2011, 11:40 am

Terry wrote:

and occasionally Time Lords...


I haven't met you IRL, but you're my favorite person on these boards based on TARDIS talk alone.


Terry, I haven't met *you* IRL -- but I think I may have seen you around? You should make an introductions post so I can feel like less of a creeper. :)


Also, you will definitely meet Jordan T. Maxwell in person eventually. He is everywhere at all times! Like the wind! Or space! Or Rafiki during The Lion King! The weekend I met him, I had seen him three days in a row creeper-style before we officially met.
"You've got to jump off the cliff all the time and build your wings on the way down." - Ray Bradbury
User avatar
Kayla Lane
 
Posts: 213
Joined: February 28th, 2011, 2:05 pm

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 26th, 2011, 12:04 pm

Terry wrote:

and occasionally Time Lords...


I haven't met you IRL, but you're my favorite person on these boards based on TARDIS talk alone.


i take my wins, by whatever geeky means i can get them! :)

Kayla wrote:Terry, I haven't met *you* IRL -- but I think I may have seen you around? You should make an introductions post so I can feel like less of a creeper. :)


i think you kinda LIKE feeling like a creeper, Ms. Freeman. ;)

Kayla wrote:Also, you will definitely meet Jordan T. Maxwell in person eventually. He is everywhere at all times! Like the wind! Or space! Or Rafiki during The Lion King! The weekend I met him, I had seen him three days in a row creeper-style before we officially met.


my kung fu is the best. :P also, Rafiki is my favorite character in that movie, so i'm flattered for the comparison!

(damn it...now i've got that damn Patrick Swayze song stuck in my head...)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
User avatar
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: March 17th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Terry » May 26th, 2011, 12:10 pm

that damn Patrick Swayze song stuck in my head...


You said this, and my brain jukebox immediately went to Hungry Eyes, which isn't even SUNG by Swayze, but it's in Dirty Dancing.

Now it won't stop. IT WON'T STOP. (Also, it's lunchtime. Draw parallels where you will.)

Terry, I haven't met *you* IRL -- but I think I may have seen you around? You should make an introductions post so I can feel like less of a creeper. :)


I should do. I will do! (It will probably lessen my own personal creep/lurk factor.)
Raxacoricofallapatorius
User avatar
Terry
 
Posts: 107
Joined: April 21st, 2011, 1:30 pm
Location: East ATX

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » May 26th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Terry wrote:
that damn Patrick Swayze song stuck in my head...


You said this, and my brain jukebox immediately went to Hungry Eyes, which isn't even SUNG by Swayze, but it's in Dirty Dancing.

Now it won't stop. IT WON'T STOP. (Also, it's lunchtime. Draw parallels where you will.)


i'm so sorry! and also realize now how much i've taken "She's Like the Wind" for granted on that soundtrack. truly, there's much worse to be found. ;)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
User avatar
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: March 17th, 2006, 6:50 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby KathyRose » May 26th, 2011, 4:02 pm

Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell wrote:
Terry wrote:
that damn Patrick Swayze song stuck in my head...

You said this, and my brain jukebox immediately went to Hungry Eyes, which isn't even SUNG by Swayze, but it's in Dirty Dancing.

Now it won't stop. IT WON'T STOP. (Also, it's lunchtime. Draw parallels where you will.)

i'm so sorry! and also realize now how much i've taken "She's Like the Wind" for granted on that soundtrack. truly, there's much worse to be found. ;)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC73PHdQX04[/youtube]
What is to give light must endure burning. - Viktor Frankl
User avatar
KathyRose
 
Posts: 803
Joined: February 22nd, 2008, 5:12 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Next

Return to Improv Theory & Practice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron