360 Christmas Trees

Anything about the AIC itself.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

360 Christmas Trees

Postby Gloria » December 2nd, 2012, 12:59 pm

Every time I drive down 360 all those Christmas trees make me smile. Each year they get more and more interesting. I started thinking it would be fun to have troupes decorate a tree and put the troupe name on it. Does anyone else think it would be fun to do that?
Gloria

Postby Chuy! » December 2nd, 2012, 10:04 pm

No. Bah humbug! :p
Chicken Fried Steak and all that...
-CHUY!
Chuy!

Postby Pdyx » December 3rd, 2012, 10:13 am

I hate to speak against this, but this is a pet peeve of mine. I really like that area, and I spend a lot of time hiking around in the Bull Creek Greenbelt and other parks and places around there. I've walked along 360 before and the area is now just littered with old tinsel and Christmas tree ornaments. If some of you guys do decide to do this, please, after Christmas spend at least SOME time going and cleaning up your tree as well as a couple others and some old decorations that have fallen off. Thanks for considering this.
Last edited by Pdyx on December 3rd, 2012, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pdyx

Postby Pdyx » December 3rd, 2012, 10:15 am

Pdyx

Postby Gloria » December 3rd, 2012, 12:55 pm

It shows my ignorance, because I just assumed everyone cleaned up after themselves. I don't see trees decorated after Christmas, granted I'm not on 360 a ton, and I don't hike around there. I am all about not doing harm to the environment, so if this isn't kosher I don't want to do it. I would however expect anyone that did this would clean it up.
Gloria

Postby Gloria » December 3rd, 2012, 12:59 pm

I'd also like to add that my kids keep asking me to do this and it sounds like a good reason they would accept to not do it. Yay!
Gloria

Postby valetoile » December 3rd, 2012, 1:22 pm

What about a tree with all biodegradable decorations? Popcorn and cranberry chains, curly orange peels, etc.
Parallelogramophonographpargonohpomargolellarap: It's a palindrome!
valetoile

Postby happywaffle » December 3rd, 2012, 1:50 pm

valetoile wrote:What about a tree with all biodegradable decorations? Popcorn and cranberry chains, curly orange peels, etc.

BRILLIANT!

Also any project we undertake could be paired with a post-Christmas cleanup session to grab lingering trash from our tree and others too.
happywaffle

Postby Katie T. » December 4th, 2012, 12:30 pm

Since we all care and seek to cause as little impact as possible, I guess I'll share what I just learned. I feel like a wet blanket. A bird of prey conservation person was saying it's very dangerous to even litter an apple core because it draws animals/rodents to the road and then they're killed. Carrion eating birds are drawn to that kill and THEY are then killed. Or, birds hunting the rodents are killed by cars while going after the mouse or whatever. I was like, good grief, for one apple core, what impact!
Katie Snacker
Katie T.

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » December 4th, 2012, 12:34 pm

Katie T. wrote:Since we all care and seek to cause as little impact as possible, I guess I'll share what I just learned. I feel like a wet blanket. A bird of prey conservation person was saying it's very dangerous to even litter an apple core because it draws animals/rodents to the road and then they're killed. Carrion eating birds are drawn to that kill and THEY are then killed. Or, birds hunting the rodents are killed by cars while going after the mouse or whatever. I was like, good grief, for one apple core, what impact!

yeah, this concern came to mind even with the notion of popcorn and cranberries...if it might have an impact on the wildlife around there. but i get accused of being enough of a humbug for my odd Christmas preferences, so i kept shtum. :oops:
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Katie T. » December 4th, 2012, 12:37 pm

Seriously! I was laughing at myself, like, am I really gonna be that guy?? Ugh. But, since everyone is so preservationist, I thought I should. It'd be like, why didn't you tell me!?
Katie Snacker
Katie T.

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » December 4th, 2012, 12:55 pm

indeed! i'd feel bad if everyone showed up afterwards to a tree full of ants, bees, wolves, and non-Kevin Miller bears. :cry:
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Chuy! » December 4th, 2012, 4:55 pm

I like my answer best. Although, I do love how we have all in our own special way managed to take an enormous dump on Gloria's Xmas spirit idea... Sorry, Gloria...
Chicken Fried Steak and all that...
-CHUY!
Chuy!

Postby Katie T. » December 5th, 2012, 11:37 am

Sorry Gloria!
I love the spirit of decorating a tree to bring warmth and smiles to people's hearts!
Katie Snacker
Katie T.

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » December 5th, 2012, 11:45 am

yeah, if we can arrange to strike the decorations from the tree after, i think it's a great idea!
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Next

Return to AIC General Discussion