CALLING ALL IMPROVISERS -B. Iden Payne Awards nominees

Anything about the AIC itself.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

CALLING ALL IMPROVISERS -B. Iden Payne Awards nominees

Postby Dave » September 4th, 2012, 5:20 pm

CALLING ALL IMPROVISERS
The B. Iden Payne Awards nominees are being figured out as we speak.
As usual, we are being asked to provide our own nominees.
I am told next year they would like to fold us into the normal nominating process.

But for this year, we have to provide a list of nominees by next week.

Here were the ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
a) it is improvised theater (no sketch work)
b) it had a run of at least 4 shows on either a regular weekly or monthly basis
c) exemplifies the best Improvisational Theater in Austin

Only one vote per person.
Choosing more than 3 nominees will disqualify your ballot

VOTING CLOSES SUNDAY Sept 9 at 5pm

VOTE HERE:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDdfcFRvQkJsczJsaHp3cWNHeFNkY0E6MQ

PLEASE PASS THIS ONTO AUSTIN IMPROVISERS WHOM YOU THINK WOULD BE INTERETSED IN VOTING

Previous Winners:
2011 Confidence Men: Improvised Mamet
2010 Confidence Men: Improvised Mamet
2009 Parallelogramophonograph
2008 "Improvisational Dream Team": D. Buckman, A. Ronen, T. Nelson, C. Trew, M. Jastroch, S. Merlin, R. Janik, and J. York
2007 ColdTowne,
2006 The Frank Mills
If you disrespect your character, or play it just for laughs, it will sell some gags, but it's all technique.
It's like watching a juggler-- you'll be impressed by it, but it's not going to touch you in anyway. "
-Steve Coogan
Dave

Postby acrouch » September 4th, 2012, 6:22 pm

Fight injustice and write in Danger! Warning! Improv! :)

Maybe you saw this past Sunday in Out of Bounds, kicking ass with James Bond or charmingly cratering Sherlock Holmes.

We've done two four-week runs at the Hideout in the past year and are super qualified!

A vote for Danger! Warning! Improv! is a vote for the future.
acrouch

Postby Brad Hawkins » September 5th, 2012, 9:59 am

acrouch wrote:Fight injustice and write in Danger! Warning! Improv! :)

Maybe you saw this past Sunday in Out of Bounds, kicking ass with James Bond or charmingly cratering Sherlock Holmes.

We've done two four-week runs at the Hideout in the past year and are super qualified!

A vote for Danger! Warning! Improv! is a vote for the future.

Actually, it's on the ballot, just misspelled. You'll find it listed as Pocketful of Posies.
The silver knives are flashing in the tired old cafe. A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee. She says "My body is the life; my body is the way." I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.
Brad Hawkins

Postby Dave » September 6th, 2012, 10:19 am

Hi

Please stop having your relatives, parents, old college roommates and your aliases under your different email addresses vote.

It's taking up my personal time to weed them out.

Thanks

Dave
If you disrespect your character, or play it just for laughs, it will sell some gags, but it's all technique.
It's like watching a juggler-- you'll be impressed by it, but it's not going to touch you in anyway. "
-Steve Coogan
Dave

Postby Brad Hawkins » September 6th, 2012, 10:23 am

Dave wrote:Hi

Please stop having your relatives, parents, old college roommates and your aliases under your different email addresses vote.

It's taking up my personal time to weed them out.

Thanks

Dave

Good Christ, people, are we really doing this? We're supposed to have a tight-knit community free of shitheels here. This is not something you game. This is not sending Pitbull to Alaska because it's funny. I'm not saying a local arts award is the most serious thing in the world, but honesty is, and I don't want to feel there are some of us in this community that can't be fucking trusted.

EDIT: OK, my reaction was a little harsh. I now realize that community members might not be responsible for the fraud... many of US did post the link to the form on their Facebook page, often with privacy settings that didn't exclude non-improvisers. So I retract my harsher statements of condemnation in favor of giving my bretheren the benefit of the doubt.
Last edited by Brad Hawkins on September 6th, 2012, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
The silver knives are flashing in the tired old cafe. A ghost climbs on the table in a bridal negligee. She says "My body is the life; my body is the way." I raise my arm against it all and I catch the bride's bouquet.
Brad Hawkins

Postby Pdyx » September 6th, 2012, 10:31 am

Hey Dave, this is purely a guess, but I think there may be some confusion about the process . Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding based on previous years that we do this within the community. I don't see anything on that form that indicates you can only vote if you're an improviser. I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but perhaps if possible you could edit the form to say in big bolded letters only vote if you are an improviser, do not share with non-performing family, friends, etc.?

I've seen some folks sharing it on Facebook and I'm guessing that they didn't understand that this is a closed process.

And I apologize if I'm incorrect or out of line.

Thanks for doing this, it is much appreciated, and sorry you're dealing with bogus entries.
Pdyx

Postby Jessica » September 6th, 2012, 10:37 am

Oh, I feel like an asshole. My facebook list is made up of mostly improvisors but there are some people that are not.

Sorry about that - I will fix it quickly.

Having said that - it does seem weird that only improvisors will come up with the top three. Then the open theater community (90% of whom never see improv) will get to vote on it.

It would be great if there was a way for our audiences - the ones who actually see and enjoy our shows - to have a say in the process.
Jessica

Re: CALLING ALL IMPROVISERS -B. Iden Payne Awards nominees

Postby Brad Hawkins » September 6th, 2012, 10:37 am

Pdyx wrote:Hey Dave, this is purely a guess, but I think there may be some confusion about the process . Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding based on previous years that we do this within the community. I don't see anything on that form that indicates you can only vote if you're an improviser. I'm not saying this would solve the problem, but perhaps if possible you could edit the form to say in big bolded letters only vote if you are an improviser, do not share with non-performing family, friends, etc.?

Dave wrote:CALLING ALL IMPROVISERS
As usual, we are being asked to provide our own nominees.

It was clear to me, but I can see how it might not be clear to everyone.
Brad Hawkins

Re: CALLING ALL IMPROVISERS -B. Iden Payne Awards nominees

Postby Pdyx » September 6th, 2012, 10:40 am

Brad Hawkins wrote:It was clear to me, but I can see how it might not be clear to everyone.

That's the language from the original post here, but not the language on the link, the form, which some people started sharing on Facebook.
Pdyx

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » September 6th, 2012, 11:17 am

yeah, i didn't see anything about this being open to only improvisors. so sorry if any of the votes came from my gene pool. on the other hand, i can barely get my friends to come to shows so i doubt i got very many of them to vote. :P
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Ruby W. » September 6th, 2012, 11:42 am

I haven't been advertising it or anything, but I do know that my mom, Catherine Willmann, voted for the experts. It MIGHT seem like I'm getting my mom to vote for me....but I'm happy to say that she is an improviser at The Hideout Theater now!!! :) So her vote counts right?

I'm just giddy that my mom is an improviser, that's all.
Ruby W.

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » September 6th, 2012, 11:51 am

there must ever be a Willmann in the AIC. the balance is restored. the prophecy holds true.
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby Dave » September 6th, 2012, 12:15 pm

I am being very liberal with the voting bloc and assuming the best in peoples intentions.

I am throwing out ballots from people that:

a) have never lived in Austin
b) have only 1 Facebook friend in the entirety of the aic and only voted their friend's troupe
c) do not have a Facebook profile at all and have zero presence on the entirety of the internet other than anonymous posting from their email handle
d) the exact same three votes get cast by multiple people seconds apart with no last name or searchable email handle

so far out of 250 ballots posted that's only about 10 ballots.
-Steve Coogan
Dave

Postby Brad Hawkins » September 6th, 2012, 12:52 pm

Dave wrote:so far out of 250 ballots posted that's only about 10 ballots.

So voter fraud is actually a non-issue?
Brad Hawkins

Postby Chuy! » September 6th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Brad Hawkins wrote:
Dave wrote:so far out of 250 ballots posted that's only about 10 ballots.

So voter fraud is actually a non-issue?

And you got all worked up...
Chicken Fried Steak and all that...
-CHUY!
Chuy!

Next

Return to AIC General Discussion