Cracking jokes during Someone else's Set

Anything about the AIC itself.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Cracking jokes during Someone else's Set

Postby Spots » August 26th, 2012, 5:39 am

This rarely comes up. Luckily very, very rarely.

But there have been times I've come across someone who shifts attention to themselves as an audience member. They sit in the dark theater while they crack jokes and make snide comments about the performance, giggling to themselves and others in the audience. About a trope or a critique they have about the performance.

NOTE: There are levels to this behavior. But sometimes it appears the person sits in the audience solely for this purpose. Rather than immerse himself /herself in the world which the performers are delicately building for him.

In other words they don't "respect the stage."

The wisecracker might talk under their breath. Or look around for other people's approval. This could be full-on in the middle of a show with imps committed to their characters and attempting to immerse the audience in the experience.

The audience member who wisecracks at this time displays insecurity. And displays disrespect. The behavior appears to scream "I can't stand someone else having the spotlight for longer than twelve minutes!"

What are y'alls thoughts and experiences? How do you handle someone next to you who cracks jokes and looks your way for approval? Do you ever bring it up? Do you mention that the behavior is inappropriate?

Or do you just tolerate it?
Spots

Postby jillybee72 » August 27th, 2012, 1:25 am

I whisper "There's a show going on" and point my finger to the stage to show them.
jillybee72

Postby Jastroch » August 27th, 2012, 9:05 am

I've taken to reminding the audiences that they are in a theater at the top of the show and that the performers can hear them and it doesn't help the show.
--Jastroch

"Racewater dishtrack. Finese red dirt warfs. Media my volumn swiftly" - Arrogant.
Jastroch

Postby AmyA » August 27th, 2012, 8:27 pm

It's usually my dad, y'all. The best way to combat this is to not cast me in your shows. Sigh.
AmyA

Postby Spots » August 27th, 2012, 8:43 pm

Haha!
Spots

Postby Spots » August 27th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Jill, Michael:

Ever try to get the point across with body language? A disapproving glance? A hand signal?

Being direct sounds like the best decision. There were three inebriated women enjoying a show so much that they were repeating every other line and making loud commentary.

I looked back at them right as someone else yelled "SHUUSH!"

And everyone in that theater looked over and got the idea that I was the guy shooshing. I just owned it ... even tho I felt like Larry David in an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm.
Spots

Postby jillybee72 » August 28th, 2012, 3:16 am

The moment everyone in Toronto realized I am really quite American -->

CHATTY GIRLS: Blah blah blah blah
JILL (turns around): Excuse me, do you have any gum?
CHATTY GIRLS: Um..no.
JILL: Then shut the fuck up.

------------

I still don't know why I did it that way. How weird. Anyway.
jillybee72

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » August 28th, 2012, 9:14 am

snipers in the light grid. only way to be sure.
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby happywaffle » August 28th, 2012, 9:15 am

jillybee72 wrote:The moment everyone in Toronto realized I am really quite American -->

CHATTY GIRLS: Blah blah blah blah
JILL (turns around): Excuse me, do you have any gum?
CHATTY GIRLS: Um..no.
JILL: Then shut the fuck up.

------------

I still don't know why I did it that way. How weird. Anyway.

*snort*
happywaffle

Postby Jastroch » August 28th, 2012, 10:37 am

Spots,

I've tried that from the stage. In an improv set it takes me right out of the scene. I've never been able to pull that off in a way that doesn't make the audience feel weird.
--Jastroch

"Racewater dishtrack. Finese red dirt warfs. Media my volumn swiftly" - Arrogant.
Jastroch

Postby Spots » August 28th, 2012, 11:10 am

Oh man. Yeah.

That's why the shuush guy is such a hero. The performers are trapped in a conundrum.
Spots

Postby trabka » August 28th, 2012, 11:14 am

Rachel Madorsky is very good at telling an audience member to behave and then return to the scene like nothing happened. I've seen it at least 3 times.
trabka

Postby Jessica » August 28th, 2012, 4:42 pm

I guess I've played with the audience so much in Firth&Arjet and in the Flying Theater Machine, that it usually just doesn't throw me. I have even play with them. Only a tiny bit of attention is usually enough to make them pleased and settle back into the audience role. I guess that is one of the nice things about improv, you can take anything and make it part of the scene.
Jessica

Postby jillybee72 » August 28th, 2012, 8:38 pm

This is why there should be a house manager on duty, or some kind of extra adult. The tech can sneak out of the booth to do it.

Sometimes, I've found a way to sneak offstage and go say to them, "I need you to be quiet, you're distracting from the show" without drawing focus.
jillybee72

Postby happywaffle » August 30th, 2012, 12:46 pm

Apparently Jastroch (or somebody) got to eject some loud drunkards from Coldtowne just last night.
happywaffle

Return to AIC General Discussion