aic potluck date?

Anything about the AIC itself.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Postby beardedlamb » September 14th, 2010, 11:12 pm

i realize this won't happen but i support an award-free get together. just an awesome dinner, maybe a doofy presentation of some kind, and a bigass family photo.

self-selected awards breed outcasts.
O O B
beardedlamb

Postby Aden » September 14th, 2010, 11:18 pm

seconded.
http://www.artofchange.com
Change is inevitable. Progress is not. Discover the difference YOU can make.
Aden

Postby valetoile » September 14th, 2010, 11:55 pm

I'd be happy to do away with awards. Less work for me. Plus the B. Iden Paynes are there already, and at nearly the same time. I'm sure we could think of some other fun celebratory entertainments for the evening in the vein of the "best lines of the year" opera.
Parallelogramophonographpargonohpomargolellarap: It's a palindrome!
valetoile

Postby sara farr » September 14th, 2010, 11:56 pm

The idea of awards has been debated from our first AIC pot-luck. If you honor a few (or even many), you are leaving out others. For future AIC pot-lucks, I would like to think we can all agree to have a get together with optional "love notes".

Also, though it requires preparation (aka "work"), I loved having some quirky take on stuff from the previous year. I especially liked the first year's "year in review" sketch. I think Dave Buckman and Jill Morris (among others?) wrote parts of it. It was funny and silly... but we were a lot smaller and everything was centered around 1 theater.

Perhaps the "review" could be a slideshow taken from a common photo repository? Doesn't the AIC have a Flickr account where ppl store photos of AIC shows? Would an AIC slideshow require any work?

Also, I will always remember Ceej as a native American presenting his award.
sara farr

Postby mcnichol » September 15th, 2010, 8:08 am

beardedlamb wrote:i support an award-free get together. just an awesome dinner, maybe a doofy presentation of some kind, and a bigass family photo.

^^THIS
mcnichol

Postby LisaJackson » September 15th, 2010, 8:29 am

mcnichol wrote:^^THIS

I second Bob's vote for cat ears.
LisaJackson

Postby EmilyBee » September 15th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Not maybe enough time this year, but what about a true community spirit thing that encourages people form the different theaters to play together/perform together for the presentation? I had a blast doing my presentation with Dave and Brockman last year, and it was a great way to get to know and work with others in the community I'd not known well before.

Maybe this idea is done already with Same Years Eve? Blah blah. I think, having played with people from most of our theaters, that mixing it up is a great way to build a sense of community. Maybe people who've done the same would say something similar?
Mairzy Doats and Doazy Doats and Little Lamzy Divey
EmilyBee

Postby ratliff » September 15th, 2010, 3:12 pm

EmilyBee wrote:Not maybe enough time this year, but what about a true community spirit thing that encourages people form the different theaters to play together/perform together for the presentation? I had a blast doing my presentation with Dave and Brockman last year, and it was a great way to get to know and work with others in the community I'd not known well before.

Maybe this idea is done already with Same Years Eve? Blah blah. I think, having played with people from most of our theaters, that mixing it up is a great way to build a sense of community. Maybe people who've done the same would say something similar?

Cat ears this. Same Year's Eve is great fun but something of a clusterboink. I'd love to see a few cross-pollinated presentations/sketches/whatever.
"I'm not a real aspirational cat."
-- TJ Jagodowski
ratliff

Postby shando » October 27th, 2010, 11:00 am

We're closing in on when this thing is happening. I know Jessica and some other folks have been doing a lot of work to find a venue that can hold all of us, but it seems like if we were going to do awards with the same level of polish that were done last year, people would need to be prepping that stuff now. Are we drifting toward an award free year this year? I would be fine with that, or with awards, or whatever. I'd just hate for there to be awards thrown together haphazardly.
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?

"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
shando

Postby bradisntclever » October 27th, 2010, 11:21 am

shando wrote:We're closing in on when this thing is happening. I know Jessica and some other folks have been doing a lot of work to find a venue that can hold all of us, but it seems like if we were going to do awards with the same level of polish that were done last year, people would need to be prepping that stuff now. Are we drifting toward an award free year this year? I would be fine with that, or with awards, or whatever. I'd just hate for there to be awards thrown together haphazardly.

Yes, Shannon - you're right on the money. Due to a combination of the results of this thread and of the inability to easily find a space with A/V capabilities that can suit a party as large as ours, I think our best bet is a relaxed potluck where we can all just get together. Maybe we can do some toasts or whatnot.

Question to those of you viewing this thread. Would you be up for a trip to Driftwood to Camp Ben McCulloch? I'm worried it may be a bit too far out of the way, but they have a suitable dinner venue. If that doesn't work, we're looking at a potluck picnic over at Zilker park.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Postby Marc Majcher » October 27th, 2010, 1:44 pm

bradisntclever wrote:Would you be up for a trip to Driftwood to Camp Ben McCulloch?

Absolutely.
The Bastard
Improv For Evil
"new goal: be quoted in Marc's signature." - Jordan T. Maxwell
Marc Majcher

Postby Pdyx » October 27th, 2010, 1:50 pm

I like the Zilker suggestion. It's central and not a long drive. Unfortunately, I may be out of town though, if this happens the Sunday before Thanksgiving. So my vote shouldn't be counted, really.

I also fully support not having awards. And I also appreciate that people do the work to put this together, very much.
Pdyx

Postby Spots » October 27th, 2010, 2:42 pm

I would drive to Driftwood but I'm not sure you'd attract all the new folks who might be on the edge of the fence.
Spots

Postby Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell » October 27th, 2010, 3:09 pm

well...does going across the street to the Salt Lick and bringing back a few pounds of barbecue count as "pot luck"? because if so, i'm all for Camp Ben. ;)
Sweetness Prevails.

-the Reverend
Rev. Jordan T. Maxwell

Postby mpbrockman » October 27th, 2010, 3:17 pm

EmilyBee wrote:Not maybe enough time this year, but what about a true community spirit thing that encourages people form the different theaters to play together/perform together for the presentation? I had a blast doing my presentation with Dave and Brockman last year, and it was a great way to get to know and work with others in the community I'd not known well before.

Yes to this. Emily - isn't this how we more or less met?

Zilker sounds fine to me. I suspect there would be a large number of people who would have every intention of going out to Driftwood, then come that day say "F*ck it - I don't feel like driving".

I could easily be one of them.

Hell, I'll bring a guitar or something (everybody else who plays guitar bring one too). We'll roast Matt Pollock on a spit, do a few little low-key presentation/celebration-type things, take a picture, tell each other what fine people we are and call it a good year.
"He who is not a misanthrope at age forty can never have loved mankind" -Nicolas de Chamfort
www.perfectlyreasonabledreams.com
http://www.facebook.com/mpbrockman
mpbrockman

PreviousNext

Return to AIC General Discussion