aic potluck date?

Anything about the AIC itself.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

aic potluck date?

Postby ratliff » September 8th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Is there going to be an AIC potluck this year? If so, when?

Because if someone were scheduling an exciting improv event in November, that person or persons would certainly want to avoid doing so on the same night as the potluck.

Which is when, exactly?

Who's in charge here?
"I'm not a real aspirational cat."
-- TJ Jagodowski
ratliff

Postby bradisntclever » September 8th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Believe me, we're on it. An e-mail chain has already been started with reps from all the major theaters who participate in AIC activities.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Postby ratliff » September 8th, 2010, 4:48 pm

No doubt. But, ahem, if someone other than a major theater were planning something, that person or persons would also need advance notice. Theoretically.
-- TJ Jagodowski
ratliff

Postby bradisntclever » September 8th, 2010, 4:49 pm

The tentative date is, as always, the Sunday before Thanksgiving. This year that would be 11/21. We're looking into a larger indoor venue that can seat everyone. More announcements as they develop.

The next major thing we're working on is the nomination/voting process for this year. We plan to continue the Kennedy Honors format from last year.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Postby ratliff » September 8th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Any idea when the tentative will become the definite? Tentatively?
-- TJ Jagodowski
ratliff

Postby bradisntclever » September 8th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Apparently I was in the process of writing that last post when you asked for clarification. My apologies.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Postby ratliff » September 8th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Dammit, Temple, who's really pulling the strings here? What did they promise you?
-- TJ Jagodowski
ratliff

Postby bradisntclever » September 8th, 2010, 5:07 pm

I'm 95% confident that the date is correct. The only thing that would throw a wrench into it is if we can't find a suitable location. I don't think it will be a problem, but we're investigating now. Give us a week? As soon as we have something locked down, I'll let you know PERSONALLY.

They promised me a hurricane party.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Postby Spaztique » September 8th, 2010, 5:40 pm

bradisntclever wrote:The next major thing we're working on is the nomination/voting process for this year. We plan to continue the Kennedy Honors format from last year.

*looks at post*

*looks at "Most Likely To Deserve This Award" Award collecting dust*

*looks at post again*

*looks back at award*

*looks at post once more*

*thinks "Why not just have both the honors and the regular ol' awards?"*

*goes back to drinking Ginger Ale and watching the Weather Channel*
-New and improved for 2014: coming to a theater near you!
-Advice-A-Day: Daily advice on everything.
Spaztique

Postby Aden » September 9th, 2010, 12:23 am

bradisntclever wrote:We plan to continue the Kennedy Honors format from last year.

I kinda miss the old awards format. The Honors format didn't seem to save any time... why not do awards?
http://www.artofchange.com
Change is inevitable. Progress is not. Discover the difference YOU can make.
Aden

Postby Marc Majcher » September 9th, 2010, 12:54 am

Aden wrote:I kinda miss the old awards format. The Honors format didn't seem to save any time... why not do awards?

Word.
The Bastard
Improv For Evil
"new goal: be quoted in Marc's signature." - Jordan T. Maxwell
Marc Majcher

Postby bradisntclever » September 9th, 2010, 1:20 am

Aden wrote:
bradisntclever wrote:We plan to continue the Kennedy Honors format from last year.

I kinda miss the old awards format. The Honors format didn't seem to save any time... why not do awards?

It was never a question of saving time. The decision was made to help pay tribute to three worthy individuals/groups/theaters recognized throughout the entire community. The individual awards format is harder to pull off in a group where many voters don't regularly see everyone who performs. Much like last year's potluck venue, our community is largely outgrowing that awards format.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Postby Spaztique » September 10th, 2010, 12:00 am

bradisntclever wrote:
Aden wrote:

It was never a question of saving time. The decision was made to help pay tribute to three worthy individuals/groups/theaters recognized throughout the entire community. The individual awards format is harder to pull off in a group where many voters don't regularly see everyone who performs. Much like last year's potluck venue, our community is largely outgrowing that awards format.

But rather than just having a large group of people who never see eachother much competing in a bunch of categories, doesn't the honors format just limit it to a large group of people who never see eachother competing for only three awards?

Again, what would be wrong with combining the two? If it's an issue of time, why not have both an honors committee and an individual award committee? If it's an issue of a growing community, how about individual improvisers giving permission for whether they can be nominated or not (so only those who want to receive awards can receive them)?
-New and improved for 2014: coming to a theater near you!
-Advice-A-Day: Daily advice on everything.
Spaztique

Postby Aden » September 10th, 2010, 10:23 am

bradisntclever wrote:
Aden wrote:

I guess since I'm not jumping up and volunteering for organizing anything I'll yield to what you guys decide. The BBQ is the thing I love the most anyway... so as far as I'm concerned the honors and the awards could all go away. I'm just saying as far as honors vs. awards, I liked awards much much better.
http://www.artofchange.com
Change is inevitable. Progress is not. Discover the difference YOU can make.
Aden

Postby bradisntclever » September 10th, 2010, 11:28 am

Spaztique wrote:But rather than just having a large group of people who never see eachother much competing in a bunch of categories, doesn't the honors format just limit it to a large group of people who never see eachother competing for only three awards?

Again, what would be wrong with combining the two? If it's an issue of time, why not have both an honors committee and an individual award committee? If it's an issue of a growing community, how about individual improvisers giving permission for whether they can be nominated or not (so only those who want to receive awards can receive them)?

Even though you were there last year, I still don't think you understand the concept of the evening, David. We're not handing out awards. The new format is one that celebrates the achievements of three different entities rather than pitting the improv community against itself to determine who the best coach, teacher, theater, format, etc. are. It's a great way to get community involvement and have new faces interact with old veterans.

I believe this should be a night that brings the entire community together to relax, have fun, and celebrate Austin improv.

Once we start asking people to vote on the best teacher and best new troupe, we're inevitably going to devolve into partisanship. People can use those titles for marketing and festival resumes, and I don't think it's worth the headache of people beating their chests and drumming their e-mail databases to get results. I don't see an awards format like that returning unless we were able to establish a balanced, objective voting panel. Either way, that's not happening this year.
bradisntclever
Site Admin

Next

Return to AIC General Discussion