Help the AIC earn a Cultural Contract with the city!

Anything about the AIC itself.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Help the AIC earn a Cultural Contract with the city!

Postby Matt » April 27th, 2010, 6:46 pm

Here's the deal - the AIC is trying to earn another Cultural Contract with the city to fund special events for the improv community. Things like LAFF, the Johnstone Maestro, Same Year's Eve, and that next big improv project you have in mind and need some financial help with.

I'm putting together the application for this this week, and I need your help. I need letters of support for the AIC from the improv community (and our audience/patrons as well). These letters can be in the form of an email or a scanned, signed letter. The ideal letter of support would describe the benefits improv brings to the greater Austin community, how it adds to the 'weirdness' vibe of the city, how the improv scene in Austin is special relative to other cities, the longevity of improv in Austin (i.e. we've been around for a while and are not just trying to make a buck off the city), legitimacy as an art form, how it is has personally changed your life, etc. They need to have your name and who you are (theater owner, audience member, CEO of Dell, whatever).

Here's the catch - I need them ASAP (by this Thursday) to make the Friday deadline for submissions. You can send them to pollockm at that google mail place.

Please take ten minutes and help us fund more great improv in town!
The Quiet One
Improv For Evil
Matt

Postby Aden » April 27th, 2010, 10:45 pm

I will write a letter in the morning. I will definitely write the letter if I get a reminder too... but my reason for posting this is so that I will remember to write one in the morning.
http://www.artofchange.com
Change is inevitable. Progress is not. Discover the difference YOU can make.
Aden

Postby smerlin » April 28th, 2010, 12:07 am

I've written this letter in the past for the AIC. Would you like it again?
Shana Merlin
http://www.merlin-works.com
You improvise every day.
Why not get good at it?
smerlin

Postby Matt » April 28th, 2010, 8:58 am

smerlin wrote:I've written this letter in the past for the AIC. Would you like it again?

*edited*

My assumption was that I could reuse the letters from three years ago, based on Shannon's information below, that appears to be inaccurate. So, yes, please send me the letter again. Thank you!
Last edited by Matt on April 28th, 2010, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Quiet One
Improv For Evil
Matt

Postby shando » April 28th, 2010, 9:23 am

Matt wrote:
smerlin wrote:I've written this letter in the past for the AIC. Would you like it again?

I have copies of previous letters, however the city prefers the letters to be "current." I am not sure if this means I need to get letters every time we apply or if we can use letters from previous years. I am operating under the assumption that letters within the last three years are still okay. This is a call for additional letters to further bolster the application.

You will need new letters every two years, ideally also outside of the community of people you serve, ie some non-improvisers.
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?

"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
shando

Postby Matt » April 28th, 2010, 9:26 am

shando wrote:
Matt wrote:

I have copies of previous letters, however the city prefers the letters to be "current." I am not sure if this means I need to get letters every time we apply or if we can use letters from previous years. I am operating under the assumption that letters within the last three years are still okay. This is a call for additional letters to further bolster the application.

You will need new letters every two years, ideally also outside of the community of people you serve, ie some non-improvisers.

Then my assumption was wrong. Yes, I would love a re-send of the letter, Shana.
The Quiet One
Improv For Evil
Matt

Postby shando » April 28th, 2010, 9:41 am

Next year the AIC will be on the two year funding cycle, and you won't need to submit all the other documentation (like letters), just the application and the budget.
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?

"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
shando

Postby Matt » April 28th, 2010, 9:54 am

shando wrote:Next year the AIC will be on the two year funding cycle, and you won't need to submit all the other documentation (like letters), just the application and the budget.

That would be lovely. I'm actually using the fabulous AIC Newsletter that Asaf has put in so much on as one of our forms of documentation - it has made putting the application together much easier.
The Quiet One
Improv For Evil
Matt

Postby Aden » April 28th, 2010, 11:24 am

Letter written!
http://www.artofchange.com
Change is inevitable. Progress is not. Discover the difference YOU can make.
Aden

Postby Matt » April 28th, 2010, 5:06 pm

Aden wrote:Letter written!

Letter received! Thank you!

More?
The Quiet One
Improv For Evil
Matt

Postby Matt » April 30th, 2010, 4:33 pm

Yay! Application submitted. Application consists of four copies each of the 32 pages of application material and 50 pages of supplemental documentation, outlining our proposals to produce no less than five events in fiscal year 2011. We're going to bring in two national headliner acts for special shows (think TJ & Dave in 2009 or Johnstone in 2010), help with Wafflefest and LAFF, and produce a Spanish Maestro!

With whatever money is left, we'll also be funding additional fun projects by the community.

Now I sleep.
The Quiet One
Improv For Evil
Matt

Return to AIC General Discussion