Please vote OoB as best festival

Discuss the festival, ask questions, and get the word out.

Moderators: happywaffle, arclight

Postby Roy Janik » June 13th, 2007, 4:54 pm

mcnichol wrote:Or we could all just put "Austin Improv Collective" (as best comedy group).


I'm doing this, and I'm going to encourage everyone I can to do this. Even though the AIC isn't a "comedy troupe", it's still the best fit.

If the AIC wins, we can ALL legitimately put the award on our promotional materials, websites, etc...
Submit to the Free Fringe, Thursdays at 10pm. http://hideout.cc/freefringeform
User avatar
Roy Janik
 
Posts: 3850
Joined: August 14th, 2005, 11:06 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby ChrisTrew.Com » June 13th, 2007, 5:02 pm

The Chronicle is tearing us apart!!!!!!!11
Image
User avatar
ChrisTrew.Com
 
Posts: 1828
Joined: October 31st, 2005, 2:29 pm
Location: Austin/New Orleans

Postby kbadr » June 13th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Let's tear the Chronicle apart in retaliation. I'll start by making out with Louis Black.

You work your life away and what do they give?
You're only killing yourself to live

User avatar
kbadr
 
Posts: 3614
Joined: August 23rd, 2005, 9:00 am
Location: Austin, TX (Kareem Badr)

Postby kaci_beeler » June 13th, 2007, 5:03 pm

Roy Janik wrote:
mcnichol wrote:Or we could all just put "Austin Improv Collective" (as best comedy group).


I'm doing this, and I'm going to encourage everyone I can to do this. Even though the AIC isn't a "comedy troupe", it's still the best fit.

If the AIC wins, we can ALL legitimately put the award on our promotional materials, websites, etc...


Plus, the AIC covers a wide range of styles and humor. There is something for everyone, so even if they don't like one thing they probably will like another. So it really is closer to the "best comedy" because there is something for everyone.
User avatar
kaci_beeler
 
Posts: 2151
Joined: September 4th, 2005, 10:27 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby Jeff » June 13th, 2007, 5:36 pm

hm.
Last edited by Jeff on June 14th, 2007, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Jeff
 
Posts: 2257
Joined: April 22nd, 2007, 3:15 am

Postby shando » June 13th, 2007, 6:02 pm

Uh, sorry to have opened this can of worms, although ultimatley who cares. OoB doesn't stand a shot in hell of winning Best Local Festival, but I just thought I'd try to rally support for it. As for the rest of it, I let you guys settle it.

I will say this though: I find how the B. Iden Payne handled our awards last year a little insulting to our scene--no one else among the theater community picks their own winner. They are voted on by panelists and jurors outside of the performances. I'd like the improv groups to be given that level of respect and legitmacy as well. Let the AIC awards be for the community love. I'd like the B. Iden Payne to be handled like they are for other theater awards they give. Which is to take nothing away from The Frank Mills deserving win last year. I'm just saying I would like a worthy winner to be selected by jurors outside our little circle so that we get the respect I think we're due in the larger performance community.

And Justin, as for a CT win helping all of Austin Improv, then how come Get Up's show poster was ripped down there before we even had our first show? :wink:
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?


"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
User avatar
shando
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: August 31st, 2005, 5:20 pm

Postby shando » June 13th, 2007, 6:17 pm

kbadr wrote:Let's tear the Chronicle apart in retaliation. I'll start by making out with Louis Black.


I almost drove Brenner back home from his vasectomy yesterday. Can I consider my work done?
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?


"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
User avatar
shando
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: August 31st, 2005, 5:20 pm

Postby arthursimone » June 13th, 2007, 6:38 pm

shando wrote:I'm just saying I would like a worthy winner to be selected by jurors outside our little circle so that we get the respect I think we're due in the larger performance community.


I never knew that was how they were run... I now wish the same thing! Give us some love, theater community! that being said, them 'Mills awesome enough to win either way

shando wrote:how come Get Up's show poster was ripped down there before we even had our first show? :wink:


Rain makes posters soggy and awful. coldtowne's bulletin board is as crummy and vulnerable as they come :(
"I don't use the accident. I deny the accident." - Jackson Pollock

The goddamn best Austin improv classes!
User avatar
arthursimone
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: December 7th, 2005, 7:48 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby shando » June 13th, 2007, 6:42 pm

arthursimone wrote:coldtowne's bulletin board is as crummy and vulnerable as they come :(


Hence no vote from me. :wink:

Naw, seriously, I was just teasing.
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?


"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
User avatar
shando
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: August 31st, 2005, 5:20 pm

Postby Jastroch » June 13th, 2007, 6:43 pm

shando wrote:And Justin, as for a CT win helping all of Austin Improv, then how come Get Up's show poster was ripped down there before we even had our first show? :wink:


Rain destroys all.
--Jastroch

"Racewater dishtrack. Finese red dirt warfs. Media my volumn swiftly" - Arrogant.
User avatar
Jastroch
 
Posts: 1298
Joined: December 3rd, 2005, 3:04 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby York99 » June 13th, 2007, 6:47 pm

arthursimone wrote:
shando wrote:how come Get Up's show poster was ripped down there before we even had our first show? :wink:


Rain makes posters soggy and awful. coldtowne's bulletin board is as crummy and vulnerable as they come :(


In the spirit of "better late than never," I will take this opportunity to suggest to all who hang posters on our light board to replace them after it rains.

Shannon, I have never known anyone to rip down a poster from there for any other reason than it being outdated or very weathered. I'm sorry that you may have thought otherwise this whole time.

I don't understand how that relates to the Chronicle thing.
"Every cat dies 9 times, but every cat does not truly live 9 lives."
-Bravecat

Image
User avatar
York99
 
Posts: 1998
Joined: April 12th, 2006, 8:47 am
Location: There

Postby deroosisonfire » June 13th, 2007, 6:48 pm

I don't understand who outside the AIC is going to vote for the AIC as best comedy group. Who outside our community knows what it is or has even heard of it?

I know we have The Onion ad now which will help raise the AIC's visibility, but not in time for the Chronicle awards.

I offer no better suggestion, but I have to admit I'm skeptical.
"There's no such thing as extra pepperoni. There's just pepperoni you can transfer to another person."
-Wes
User avatar
deroosisonfire
 
Posts: 553
Joined: September 10th, 2005, 4:49 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby beardedlamb » June 13th, 2007, 6:54 pm

well, the last thing we want to do by voting "austin improv collective" for best improv group is piss them off into taking it off the ballot. we want them to take us seriously right?
are we really that paranoid about not winning? i voted for myself, not only because i feel like i'm in the running but because it's a useful marketing tool. let's not dilude ourselves into sour grapes. my crew is badass and if voting for myself will help people to see that, i'm down.
now campaigning, i'm not so sure about.

beard
.............
O O B
.............
User avatar
beardedlamb
 
Posts: 2676
Joined: October 14th, 2005, 1:36 pm
Location: austin

Postby arthursimone » June 13th, 2007, 7:06 pm

beardedlamb wrote:now campaigning, i'm not so sure about.


free hugs from Fred Bothwell for every coldtowne vote
"I don't use the accident. I deny the accident." - Jackson Pollock

The goddamn best Austin improv classes!
User avatar
arthursimone
 
Posts: 1898
Joined: December 7th, 2005, 7:48 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postby shando » June 13th, 2007, 7:20 pm

York99 wrote:I'm sorry that you may have thought otherwise this whole time.


I just noticed the other day at Stool Pigeon--figured it was one of those killer storms we've had or maybe one of those times I was a prick to Jastroch, Justin, Trew, or Arthur (in that order). Tami I'm always nice to, I think 'cause she dresses snappy and has a jayjay.

Edited to add:

:wink:
http://getup.austinimprov.com
madeline wrote:i average 40, and like, a billion grains?


"She fascinated me 'cause I like to run my fingers through her money."--Abner Jay
User avatar
shando
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: August 31st, 2005, 5:20 pm

PreviousNext

Return to OoB Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests